James A. S. Gill
James was born and raised in East Vancouver. Before graduating from the inaugural law class at Thompson Rivers University, he completed a Bachelor of Business Administration at Simon Fraser University with a focus on Accounting and International Business. While at Simon Fraser University, James worked as an Employment Standards Officer; a role in which he enforced and promoted statutory employment rights for vulnerable, and often immigrant, workers throughout the province in various industries including farm labour. While in law school, he co-founded the South Asian Law Students Association and the Articling and Summer Information Committee. He also served as the Vice President of the Society of Law Students.
James first joined Pacific Law Group as a summer student in 2013 before returning as an articled student in 2014. Following the completion of his articles, he continues to work with the firm as an associate. He currently practises general civil litigation with a focus on general insurance and personal injury claims. He has represented clients in both the Provincial Court of British Columbia and the Supreme Court of British Columbia and has appeared before both a judge and jury.
- Thompson Rivers University, Juris Doctor, (2014)
- Simon Fraser University, Bachelor of Business Administration, (2011)
- Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands, Business Studies, (2010)
Publications, Speaking Engagements and Community Involvement
- Permissibility of Colour and Racial Profiling, University of Western Ontario Journal of Legal Studies, (2015) 5:3 online: UWO J Leg Stud 1 (Author)
- "The Right of Transgender Athletes to Compete", 2014 Body of Law Conference. (Presenter)
- Supervising Lawyer for UBC Law's Law Students Advice Program Manual Revision, Small Claims Chapter
- Supervising Lawyer for TRU Law's Advanced Legal Research Class
- Volunteer with Access Pro Bono
- Board member, South Asian Family Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers Association
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
Outside of the practice of law, James is a proud food and sports enthusiast. His favourite foods include most forms of chocolate and all things deep-fried. He particularly enjoys attempting to snowboard during the winters, and playing basketball and mountain biking during summers.